Reminiscing

I was 1 month shy of my 10th birthday. All of my childhood was packed into a shipping container and was on it's way across an ocean to a destination that I would soon call home. I was lucky to travel quite a bit internationally, but the adventure of living in Asia was unthinkable to me at this age. All I had to look forward to was a crumpled brochure of my new school that showcased a photo of the swimming pool and regular swim classes. Apparently that's all my parents needed to convince me that this was a great move for our family from small town Ontario.

The impact that Asia has had on my life is immeasurable, which is why in a few weeks I'll be excited to touch down and experience some of it again.  I'm one of those fortunate travelers that pretty much feels at home wherever I go, but there is a deep seeded pull to these countries that I can't wait to feel.

But more importantly, to the topic of this post, I'm excited to experience Asia through the lens of my camera in a new way. Even though I grew up photographing these countries, I know that there are details that are new and unfamiliar to me that will draw my attention. I'll be spending my time country hopping - only spending a few days at a time (at most) in cities and locations. But I can't wait to share some of the sights/experiences along the way.

My first stop will be Bali and the visit to the Jodie O'shea orphanage. My batteries are charged (literally) and I'm ready to take off.

Comments

Popular Posts